Friday, March 13, 2009

Life Lessons in Step Mania

I’m currently addicted to step mania nowadays. With the lull looming over us, there’s not much to do but to hang out anywhere with my laptop and my friends while playing this game.
Step Mania is a version of DDR or Dance, Dance Revolution, I think. However, instead of feet, we use our fingers by typing, up, down, left or right on the keyboard.
I knew the game two years ago though I didn’t mind it so much thinking it was easy. I tried playing it anyway, two years ago. Man! It’s one of the most difficult and exhausting games I’ve played. I got stuck in the light level for those two years because I stopped playing it.
I just couldn’t take playing a game where I was constantly reminded that I missed. I was even booed.
To make the long story short, I decided to learn to play it again two years later- now. I don’t really know why. Maybe it’s because of the challenge to take on this game I hated.
What amazed me about step mania are the lessons I’ve learned while playing it.
These lessons are the ones I would like to share to you.
1. Don’t mind the comments- both the nasty and exalting ones.
For every move you make, there would be a word flashing on the screen telling you how well you did. I didn’t know why the makers decided to put this feature but I’ve come to the deduction that it was to distract the player.
Why? If I get to see “Marvellous!, Perfect!, Great!”, I end up screwing my game. If I get to see “Miss! Boo!”, I also end up screwing my game. That’s probably because I tend to lose my focus. I tend to be either complacent or worrisome. Either way, I lose.
That’s why I decided to never look at them no matter how much they flash on the screen.
2. Look at the arrows.
The arrows are your guide in playing the game unless you want them invisible. No matter how tempting it is to look at your score.............., look at your arrows for they will lead you to your goal- the rainbow power level.
3. Never lose sight of what you want, rainbow power level.
That’s when all you get are the best comments and a lot of combos. Therefore, it’s when you’re better than ever.
4. Never stay in one stage.
Step mania has several stages. You can be a beginner, a light, standard or heavy player. Once you constantly get the rainbow power level in one stage, it becomes pretty boring. I discovered it’s always exciting to start all over again. To start in another stage is a way of challenging yourself to come out of your comfort zone and explore a bigger world with more arrows.
5. Congratulate or comfort yourself, then move on.
Once the game is finished, let the scores speak for themselves. If you got something high, congratulate yourself for a job well done and forget about it. Never let your scores get in your head. If you got something low, better luck next time.
6. Give every arrow your best shot for they only come once.
Don’t ever dilly-dally with your arrows for they need the right timing and attack. If it already passed, your chance has passed as well.
7. Enjoy and focus.
Step Mania is a game. It is an entertainment and a sport. Thus, there should always be a balance between enjoying it and taking it seriously.
There you have it. Seven lessons I have learned from Step Mania.

No comments: