Saturday, September 19, 2009

What Air Supply Song Am I?: Making Love Out of Nothing at All


Dreamwork Ventures will be treating again the Generals to an unforgetable night of immortal love songs by bringing to Gensan world class singing icon Air Supply!
This Platinum Concert Series 2009 of Air Supply is brought to us by Dreamwork Ventures in cooperation with the City Government of Gensan, Gensan City Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Inc. and ABS-CBN
co-sponsors :
Grab a Crab Restaurant, MISO Hardware, San Miguel Corporation, Coca Cola Bottlers, Inc., East Asia Royale Hotel, Coffee Dream, Giacominos, NY Fries and Dips, Gaisano Mall of Gensan and Gregoria Printing Press


If I were an Air Supply Song, I would be the song, "Making Love out of Nothing at All". This is my little story inspired by my all-time favorite song.

Concerts of all artists are so near my vicinity here in Quezon City. Shows by local and foreign artists are advertised ever so often. Yet, I never attempted to watch any of these even if I had the money or the time. However, it would take only one condition to send me running to the concert venue; that is, if the Air Supply were the ones having a concert.

The Air Supply. They're a legend for me really. To hear them sing live would be a childhood dream come true. I never thought that there would be that one little chance that I could be as close to them as a part of an audience in a packed concert venue. Yet, miracles do really happen!

I grew up with their songs though I was born only in the 90's because my parents, aunts and uncles had a knack for their songs. I don't even know how to express just how great the influence of their music was in my life. My love for music was brought about by my love for Air supply.

During my much younger years, I would be contented to sit down on the floor at the dead of the night with my homework and the radio playing Air Supply songs. Years later, I would begin to analyze the lyrics of their songs and thank them for having created such beautiful melodies with lyrics that made so much sense.

It was when I tried to learn how to play the guitar that made their impact in my life deeper than ever.
I had nothing that time. No experience in playing the guitar. No teacher to teach me except for the few pointers of my father. I had no other source for songs and chords except for two old Compilations of Songs which are my father's. How am I supposed to start? I asked myself.

I started flipping through the old compilations. I didn't recognize any of the songs mainly for the reason that I was not familiar with the titles of the old songs I heard often. It was then that I came upon the title, "Making love out of nothing at All".

I always heard it and i always sang along during the chorus part (since the verses seemed so fast!). I have long memorized its melody by heart even before I read the words which composed it.

From the moment I played and sang that song, armed only with a guitar, a compilation of old songs and a courage do something I've never done before, sprang a greater love for music.

As the song goes, "making love out of nothing at all....".

It was and still is my song. It is a memorable song which opened up a whole new world for me.

"I know just how to whisper and i know just how to cry... i know just where to find the answers.."

Going through its lyrics in my mind, I remember the second-year high school student who thought she knew a lot. She was humbled by the fact that she couldn't even play that one song, 'Making love out of nothing at All".

It's a reflection of myself, a person who somehow knows a lot. At the same time, I'm a person who still knows nothing of everything. I just know that I love music. I don't exactly know why or when or how. All I know is there wasn't much to begin with. There was only the music of Air Supply.


This is my take for the ongoing blog contest of the famous Bariles of Gensan News Online Mag.
I hope you too would get to share your ideas on the songs of Air Supply.

The Dreamwork Ventures who's producing Air Supply Concert in Gensan is headed by the Mr. Michael Wee of Grab A Crab Restaurant and Coffee Club 101.


The concert is on October 2, 2009, 8:00 P.M. at Lagao Gym, General Santos City.

See you there! :)




1 comment:

Jinky! said...

hi, baby! 'nice post! you write better than the mom jud ba. . . love u baby! ' so proud of you!